Monday, August 3, 2009

Why all the hate for remakes?

It's been bothering me lately and really is one of the main reasons that I no longer visit a lot of forums that I used to-- the pointless remakes and the pointless debates that surround them. I will be the first to admit that there's never any reason for any remake. When a franchise takes a shit- and most of them have- they should just put the nail in the coffin and move on. However, I will say that a remake is no worse than a sequel and generally they are pretty much one in the same. Case and point The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003; it was not a bad remake regardless of what some people say. Some people refuse to like it solely because it is indeed a remake and would rather give props to the infamously bad The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation. So, why hate TCM 2003? It followed the same exact formula as the original TCM as well as all of it's sequels- hell, Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III and TCM: The Next Generation were pretty much remakes/reboots themselves.




That being said; what is the difference? I will tell ya this, but there is never any reason for a sequel. I don't care if a movie left a lot of questions unanswered or the plot open. Many movies did just that and never spawned a sequel and stood the test of time; Black Christmas, The Burning, Deliverance to name a few. I don't know, but it's gotten to the point where it's just old-- I am tired of hearing people bitch and moan about remakes, yet in the same breath praise a shitty sequel. I see this with the A Nightmare On Elm Street remake- and it's understandable with the whole Robert Englund thing- people refuse to see this yet praise some ANOES shit-fests like Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare.

I am sure other people agree, but it's just annoying to see (yet another) remake thread only to have three pages of the same recycled responses like: "oh god, this too?", "OH NO! I will NOT watch this!", "Ugh, they are destroying this movie too?" and so on. Yeah, it's a remake- yeah, it's pointless- yeah, yeah, yeah. I think it's stupid to diss a movie well before it's been scripted, shot and released. I think it's pointless to bitch about it... "It's only a movie... only a movie... only a movie... only a movie...."

If I bitched about each and every bad movie being made that was exploiting another I would be online typing 24-7, 365. Pretty much every slasher movie rips off Halloween, Friday The 13th, Black Christmas and so on. Sequels are probably the most notorious rip offs of the original and back to the whole remake vs. sequel debate-- a sequel takes the franchise name and uses the success to make money, just like a remake. To me, a sequel and a remake are one in the same and both should be hated all the same or better yet-- shut the fuck up, watch the movie and then decide if you like it.

A good remake is few and far between, however I have seen a lot that I was entertained by;
The Vanishing
13 Ghosts
The Haunting
Cape Fear
Ghost Ship
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Hills Have Eyes
Last House On The Left
The Ring
Night Of The Living Dead
Friday The 13th
Funny Games
The Thing
The Fly

Need I go on?

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. People who call themselves fans of series go way out of their way to tear down remakes of their favorite franchises before even seeing a line written about the movie. These same people then bitch that they haven't seen a new movie in their franchise for years. It makes absolutely no sense to me. If they want to see new movies, then they should be glad to get anything that is put out there.

    ReplyDelete